Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I'm not in the mood to Twitter...I've got a headache!

Many months ago I succumbed to the pressure of TV and radio shows who persistently said to follow them on Twitter. It seemed pretty easy to do so I signed up for it. I logged on and started to (er...attempted to) navigate around Twitter. I was immediately discouraged so I signed off and then played around with Facebook. This discouraged feeling is no stranger. When Facebook first starting picking up momentum, I fiercely clung to that other social networking site...what's it called...Oh yeah, myspace. See it's not even important enough anymore to get the appropriate capitalization.

I admit that it was not love at first site with Facebook but I eventually warmed up to it and now it's pure bliss. Facebook in the morning, in the afternoon, during meetings, and sometimes I do it all day long. It's one of the first things I look at in the morning and we always enjoy a bowl of high fiber cereal whilst we catch up on the past 8 hours we've been apart. I could not be happier. But ever since applying for my dream job at Murphy-Goode winery, I've been trying to catch up with the times and become an upstanding twitterer of the twitosphere. That's Twitterspeak for those still holding on to your precious Facebook and have yet to jump on the bandwagon. Because of Murphy-Goode, I've dusted off the ol' Twitter account and dove right into the newest social networking pool. Did I mention I jumped into the deep end and I was wearing 10lb weights on all my appendages, and I don't know how to swim?

My days were spent logged on to Twitter searching for people I know, people I don't know, groups I feign interest in, and anyone else that might find me the least bit interesting to deem me worthy of being followed. It's really all about how many friends you have, right? So my whopping two followers turned into 33 in a matter of weeks. I told you this was hardcore Twitter action going on. That's like a 93% increase (I think, although I'm not a mathematician nor admit to learning anything useful in any math class I've taken and I'm currently under the influence of beer that has a 'best by date' of 16 November 2007). But if I were a business, I'd be doing better than GM. Way better.

But after a few grueling weeks, I'm exhausted and still confused. I feel like I've given it the ol' college try but I just don't get it. I just don't f-ing get it. Twitter is for people with ADD, the unemployed, or those with just very, very limited vocabulary. Twitter is like dating that really young, early 20-something that goes out every Thursday, Friday, & Saturday night and stays out til 4 am. I just can't keep up. So Twitter, this has been fun, and I've had a great time with you but this isn't for me. This gal needs beauty sleep (and lots of it)!


And if you're one of the millions of Americans that have experienced similar resistance to social media change, or are wanting to learn new things (that's the true secret to staying young), there's a genius guy named Pete Cashmore who created www.mashable.com that is basically a 'Social Media For Dummies' site. Great resource for learning everything and everything about Facebook, Myspace, YouTube, blogging, and of course Twitter. My apologies for any spelling or grammatical errors on this blog, I'm still drinking expired beer.

3 comments:

  1. "If I had to pick one one... Petite Sirah." Bravo!

    And, thanks from PS I Love You, with the PS standing for Petite Sirah. -- jo

    www.psiloveyou.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo!

    There's no need to thank me, thank Petite Sirah for being such a wonderful grape! psiloveyou.org is a great site! It's as if I've found the mothership!

    kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never done the Twitter thing. Thanks for erasing and dumb idea I may have had of checking it out. YOUR BLOG = DA BOMB DIGGY.

    ReplyDelete