Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Web Schmeb 2.0 & My Plot To Take Over The Wine World

So the whole purpose of this Murphy-Goode job promo is to open the channels of communication and basically light a fire under the wine industry's presence on social networking media - Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, blogs, etc. And for the most part, Murphy-Goode is doing a pretty decent job of getting the word out there, inspiring hundreds of hopeful lifestyle correspondents to go out and buy bottles of M-G for their videos. Then those lifestyle correspondent hopefuls send emails, tweets, facebook messages to everyone they know asking that they vote for their video, which will most likely (hopefully) inspire them to seek out Murphy-Goode the next time they are at the wine store. The ripple effect is pretty awesome. I am curious to see the actual effect social networking will have on the wine industry. Will people rely on tweets or Facebook recommendations for wine and if so, how much will social networking influence them? Or will people just defer to their local wine store for a recommendation? I know in the wine shop I work at, we bring in a lot of hard to find boutique wines. Our small size limits how many wines we can carry and our decision is ultimately based upon what our customers request. Most times the customers that do request wines are the over 40 crowd and may not have a Facebook or Twitter account, and often times have more expendable income. As soon as people figure out how to use Twitter and Twitter figures out it wants to be used, I think there will be potential.

So I want to hear from you (yes, you) my ten blog followers. Okay, nine blog followers (I'm actually following my own blog...don't ask.) Let me know what you think. How do you want to see social networking involved in your wine purchases? Or is this something that you just don't really care about?

Oh, and as far as my plot to take over the wine world, I could use your help. If you haven't already sold your kidney for votes(...or was that just me?) please take a sec to send me some love and vote for my video, no matter how obnoxious you may think it is. Thanks!

Vote here: http://www.areallygoodejob.com/video-view.aspx?vid=v5zgJ88-lVM

Ks

2 comments:

  1. I think our generation as a whole needs to become more educated about wine. I do agree that as a bartender I tend to see older people veering toward the wine list, or listening to a wine I recommend in general. I think that the world of blogging and twittering is a way to open up the world of wine to our generation. (Though I must admit I have yet to jump on the bandwagon of twitter, it seems so stalker-ish:) I had never heard of Murphy - Goode wine but b/c of you I will now seek it out during my next liquor restock shopping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. There's so much more to wine than it being white or red or pink. There's no greater pleasure than learning about a wine and then being able to pick out the subtleties (did i spell that correctly?) that characterize that wine. Speaking with friends and customers at the wine store where I work part-time, people seem less inclined to seek out wine information via Twitter/facebook, blogs but instead rely on word of mouth, unless they too are part of the wine industry. My theory is this whole social networking concept works in a pyramid (or triangle since it's 2-D). The top third of the triangle consists of wineries, companies, and high profile bloggers. The middle third contains everyday people who are involved in the wine industry (servers, store owners, restaurants,sales), who, mainly for professional development, following the blogs and websites, etc to stay informed. The bottom third contains the regular, everyday people who rely on their local wine shop for advice on choosing a wine, but don't necessarily read blogs or follow wines on Twitter or Facebook. Since the bottom of a triangle is the biggest portion of it, there's a lot of potential wine customers that may not get the information that wineries put out. Just like you stated Miranda, you've yet to jump on the Twittospere b/c it seems stalker-ish. I just wonder how other people feel the same way.

    I've only had the Murphy-Goode Chardonnay, the Fume (Sauvignon Blanc), and the Liar's Dice Zinfandel. I enjoy all of them but really enjoy the Fume and the Zinfandel the most.

    Thanks for your comment Miranda!

    ReplyDelete